Performing a Clap Push-Up

Performing a Clap Push-Up

Sunday, July 24, 2011

An Introductory Message


Hello, Reader.

I shall begin with an introduction to the topic which I have the most difficulty discussing. My friend, who encouraged me to voice my ideas through a blog, suggested that I initiate my blog by talking about myself. I decided to take her advice. Here is my attempt to introduce myself!

My name is Raúl. The correct pronunciation is rah-ool.

Since the early 2011 I have been residing and studying in Brisbane. Until that point, I had spent my life in Toowoomba, which is perhaps one of the most ultraconservative towns in Australia. The relocation was refreshing. However, as distance makes the heart grow fonder, I return every now and then, not because I miss my hometown, but because it’s always a pleasure to attend to my relationships with particular friends and relatives. From time to time, I may share stories of adventures and misadventures in the town of Red Soil.

My academic career entails my studying two degrees – Law and Arts. I study the former begrudgingly, but I feel that a Law degree may assist me to implement some of the changes I wish to see in the world. Frequently my observations of and interactions with other law students remind me of the Shakespearean quote, "The first thing we must do is kill all the lawyers". Under my Arts program, I am majoring in History. Since early youth, I have been enthralled by the topic. Studying History grants me some relief from the perennial disillusionment and frustration associated with Law. I studied six subjects last semester, only one of which was history based. It brightened my timetable and I approached each tutorial, lecture and even assessment with alacrity. However, my dedication to History is not solely due to the pleasure of it. I appreciate History because it is a discipline so essential to understanding the world. Thus, it is to be expected that on occasion my writing will reflect on historical matters.

I hope not to repel readers when I blog about social and political issues. Political matters often over-occupy my thoughts. I do not always like politics. I only make it my business to maintain an active involvement in them. Politics affects all of us. We would be foolish to ignore them. I feel that we are duty bound to maintain a close watch on political matters, not just for the sake of self-interests, but also in consideration for other members of society. Pericles articulates why we should all engage in political activism in the words, "Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you".
I must forewarn readers about the content of my political commentary. The following words describe my political views: pro-equality, pro-choice, pro-justice, pro-human rights, pro-earth, anti-exploitation, anti-imperialism. I fight passionately and vigorously for each of these notions, and I shall elaborate on them in writing to come.

Here are a few miscellaneous favourites of mine: My favourite animals are flamingos and penguins. My favourite colours are purple and light cornflower blue, although I love all colours. Each colour has its place. Amongst my favourite films include Amelie, a French film starring Audrey Tautou; and Milk starring Sean Penn.

Lastly, but most importantly, I am profoundly in love.

Thank you for reading! Feel welcome to comment on my blogs or refer me to your own!

Raúl

3 comments:

  1. I very much look forward to reading more. I love it already. And I love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I love you, my darling :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderfully talented and auspicious beginning!!! Congratulations and I look forward to reading future posts.

    ReplyDelete